Thursday, November 27, 2014

Welcome Evan Michael

September 26. I slept on the couch all night. Shannon got the kids ready for school and on the bus and headed to work when my mom arrived.

Around 8:00 I started feeling really bad again. I could barely walk to the bathroom without being hunched over.

At 9:00 I took a bath to see if it would help me feel better and relieve some of the pain. Guess I needed a bigger tub because the water was exiting the emergency valve and I couldn't even submerse my belly. (Note to all the people who kept telling me how small I was.)

At 10:10 I texted Shannon "Contractions hurting worse than yesterday. This isn't fun anymore."

My mom really didn't know what to do with me. I couldn't walk. I was doubled over, moaning in pain, but fearful that if I went to the hospital they would just send me home again.


At 11:51 I started spotting and contractions were 2 minutes apart. There were many times I had contractions 2 minutes apart over the past week but since I was spotting I decided to go to the hospital. I called the neighbor to ask if she could get the kids off the bus because they had a half day. Mom was a nervous wreck because she didn't know how to get to the hospital.

At 12:00 the bus came early as mom and I were in the driveway. Adam came running across the yard to greet me and about knocked me over. Sara was strolling along, enjoying the day, as I'm doubled over in pain and I hear her say "Look mama a butterfly!"

15 minutes to the hospital, waiting for mom to park in the crowded parking lot, the long wheelchair ride to the other end of the hospital from the Emergency Room, getting dressed in hospital garb and hooked up to monitors.

Finally at 1:03 I texted Shannon "Water bulging. Dilated to 3-4."

1:08 "Admitting me."

They drew blood to test for various things in order to get an epidural. When she told me it would be at least 30 minutes to get results, I knew things were moving too quickly and the pain meds were not going to be possible.

I got wheeled into my delivery room and lots of people were in and out. They checked me again and I was dilated to a 5-6. Not five minutes later a doctor on call came in and said he wanted to check when I was having a contraction...dilated to a 7-8.

At 2:13 I called Shannon "WHERE ARE YOU?" He said "I had to finish some things at work. I am just now leaving." Apparently the urgency of the situation had been dulled by my previous 2 false alarm hospital visits. And people had been bugging him about missing deadlines throughout the previous week. Last I checked, medical issues with your wife should trump work deadlines but I guess that is not the case at Big Yellow.

I called my boss to see if he could help with Adam and Sara for the evening. We have been friends with his family for years. Thankfully, I only had to give one sentence of an explanation and he said "I will take care of it" and I didn't have to think about it again. He coordinated with my neighbor to get the kids, clothes, have them spend the night, etc.

At 2:21 my water broke. Actually I discovered it wasn't my water. It was blood. Now the fun began. Some of the worst fun of my life.

I gave my mom and her queasy tummy permission to leave the room. Since she had someone else take me for shots when I was younger and wasn't in the room when I got stitches in my broken finger, that was probably a good call.

Around 2:45 Shannon finally arrived completely out of breath. It's amazing how quickly time goes by when you are pushing every few minutes. I know it was terribly hot in the room but they couldn't turn the fan on because it would make the baby too cold. I remember seeing the two people from the NICU standing in the corner with the isolette, just waiting. And at least 5-6 people around my bed. I was exhausted from not sleeping well over the past week and already being in labor. After a while they put an oxygen mask on me for some reason. Apparently they thought I looked tired, too. Another doctor came in for a consult. They really didn't want to use forceps because a preemie's head is even more sensitive. Whoever came up with the idea that she should put her hands in me to help should be shot. And whoever handed Shannon the washcloth to wipe my forehead while he got distracted chatting with people should be...well, you get the point.

After 2 hours I think everyone was sleeping on the job. I was getting annoyed. Apparently enough for one good push while playing towel tug of war and...out he flew! Talk about a good way to get people to jump!

4:27pm, 7lb 2oz, 20.5" meet Evan Michael

For the first time I got to hold one of our babies just after birth instead of seeing them across the room with a team of doctors and then being whisked out of the room. It was a very surreal moment.

He's perfect. Just perfect.

1 comment:

Heather said...

He is absolutely gorgeous!!! Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful to hold a baby after birth? It's hard to stop once you've started. :)