Friday, November 28, 2014

Out of the mouths...

A few days ago I was feeding Evan in the nursery. Sara was standing outside the door with a small stuffed animal rabbit in her arms, swaying back and forth. She had a nipple from a bottle shoved inside a play ice cream cone and was feeding her "baby" while having a conversation with me.
My baby is 6 weeks old. She was soooo tiny when she was born. With all my pumping and eating and brushing my teeth, I don't have much time left in the day.
Really?
Yeah. Well, I used to have 2 babies but I gave one away. I just didn't have enough time.


Sometimes our mornings getting ready for school are...well...challenging. I never know if it is going to be a meltdown day. Sara can wake up in the best mood and then when she walks upstairs to get dressed she turns into a different person. She can complain about every little detail and then change her mind until her head spins. On one particular day, she was arguing with me.
I don't want to go to school...all they teach is phonics. I hate phonics. I don't want to go to school.
Okay.
I don't want to go to school. You're not even listening to me.
Yes I am. I don't care.
I don't want to go to school.
I lost count how many times she told me that over and over and over again. Too bad I'm nursing or it would lead me to drink. All the way downstairs while getting shoes on. All the way down the driveway. Then she sees the bus coming and starts running.
Bye, Mommy!
And off she went. *whew*


Adam and I were having a conversation about his social life at school.
Mom, I don't have any friends.
I thought you told me the other day that you had 3 friends.
Well, Kathryn didn't want to be my friend. I gave her a nice rock and she gave it away to Charlotte cuz she said it was dirty. That's what I got out of her. I told her I washed all the dirt off and dried it but all she did was complain.


A few months ago we got a new car. Sara and Shannon were talking about what to do with the truck that we were going to sell.
Now that we don't need the truck why don't you just leave it at the dealership so someone steals it?
I have things still in there that are important to me.
Well, clean those out and then someone can steal it.


I was trying to talk to Adam about some issues he had been having at school. Shannon said he mentioned that maybe some kids were bullying him.
Adam, Dad said you told him some kids at school aren't being nice to you. We have parent teacher conferences coming up so if I need to talk to your teacher about something, you can let me know.
Mom, do you know who I'm in love with?
What?
Do you know who I'm in love with?
I thought we were talking about kids being mean to you.
Kathryn. She's soooooo C-UTE!


Sara noticed that sometimes I breastfeed Evan from the left side and sometimes the right.
Mom, why do you switch sides when you feed Evan?
Well, my body makes milk all day so if I only feed him from one side, the other side will get really big. It's like a water balloon. What happens when we keep putting water in a water balloon?
IT POPS!
Oh my! That's not quite what I was going for. 

No comments: