Friday, February 14, 2014

My little valentines

Thankfully a week ago my mom reminded me that Valentine's Day was coming up and we should go shopping for cards that Adam and Sara would pass out to their classmates. It wasn't even on my radar and probably would have ended up being a very last minute thing.

Then it went from a friendly reminder to me thinking that the kids absolutely love doing crafts lately so let's just make something fun that they can help with! I searched the internet and they each chose their favorite. Then we shopped for supplies and spent the next 6 days working on them gradually as they were interested. I think they turned out great and the kids had a lot of fun!

Sara's was a butterfly which she cut out herself and then glued hearts on it. She also wrote the letters over what I traced because I was worried she wouldn't be able to fit the words in the small space. And she attached the Tootsie Pops.

Adam chose a superhero theme. He glued the Superman logo onto the felt cape, wrote the note on the back, and helped attach all the pieces together.


They were so excited to show me their bag of goodies when they got home from school. Sara didn't even get her coat off before she wanted to open every one, have me read them, and selected which candy she might like best.

They couldn't wait to open their card from Grandma Sue and Grandpa, knowing that they had chosen something special. Sara screamed when some money fell out! My mom came for a nice dinner and to give the kids a new shirt, a sticker book, and a small Lego set for Adam that included a cat to be rescued out of a tree!

It has been a constant frenzy of making hearts and saying Happy Valentine's Day for the last week! Adam made me a heart and drew a picture of a house on it with a tree about a week ago. He has regifted it to me every day since!

The kids were open to taking some Valentine's photos. They wanted to choose their pose. They also chose their clothes for the day. Sara was all about hearts!





After a few kissing photos, Sara wanted to move on and said "Adam, do one smiling now!"









While the kids do argue like brother and sister, most of the time over totally insignificant things, it is neat to see the bond that they have and how much they really do love each other and watch out for each other.

Sometimes it's fun to reminisce down memory lane...




1 comment:

Heather said...

LOVE your valentines! And how smart to make them yourselves over the course of a week. We did the store-bought valentines, and they were really a pain to tear apart, stuff, etc. I think we may go your route next year!