Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sara's left lithotripsy

We have been pretty cautious talking about Sara's kidney stones in front of her since coming home from Boston. The entire experience was pretty traumatic and I was trying to figure out how to tell her that they didn't get all of the stones. I thought if I talked about it in any way she would think she was going to get another Boston experience. So I waited. And waited. I couldn't just show up at the hospital either and surprise her with it. Finally the day before we were supposed to go I tried to discuss it very light-heartedly.

"Sara, we have to go back to the hospital tomorrow to work on your kidney stones a little more."
"No, I don't want to go."
"It's okay, you are just going to lay on a table and they will jiggle you a little bit like this..." and I put my hands on her mid section and shook her a little. She giggled and we left it at that.

The next day a friend came to watch Adam and brought her 4 year old little girl. Sara was upset that she didn't get to play, too, and kept saying that she didn't want to go to the hospital. I gave her a hug, looked in her eyes, and said "Honey, I promise, it won't be anything like Boston. We will do it together." I took her hand and we walked out to the car.


I learned the week before with Adam that 2 hours early really wasn't necessary. They must have put a note on my record or something because I got a phone call mid-morning asking what time I would be there!

Next stop was dropping Grandma Marilynn at the hospital across the street from Sara's for her arm surgery. Shannon had generously offered to be the family member with my mom for her surgery so I could be with Sara. A very difficult decision for me to choose being with my daughter or my mother.

We got there 90 minutes early and did our usual annoying registration process. Seriously. Why do I have to sign the same document every single time? Do you know how many of those I have signed? And can't they make a note on my account that we don't have insurance so they don't ask me every single time. It's so annoying. Then they sent us for an x-ray...to the wrong floor. 2 weeks in a row we were sent to the wrong place. I thought it was odd they wanted an x-ray since the post-surgery x-ray was forwarded from Boston to avoid taking another one but dismissed the thought.

Back to the ground floor to check in for surgery. It's starting to become a familiar place with familiar faces. Hardly no waiting before going back for pre-op. Weight...check. Height...check. Fancy surgery hat chosen...check. We actually went to the same holding room as the week before with Adam. Lots of questions and then change into surgery wardrobe - yellow this time!



With some time to kill, we headed to the play room to pass some time.



And we got a visit from Child Life who gave Sara a really neat dog in a box with a book that talks about the hospital experience.



She chose a wagon ride to go back to the operating room instead of a piggy back ride.


Thankfully I didn't have even close to an 11 hour wait before seeing my baby girl again! She was a little groggy and totally sweaty with 3 blankets on. Level 1 recovery didn't last long before they sent us to Level 2 and we had a chance to snuggle together over apple juice and Teddy Grahams.



The recovery from lithotripsy has been a cake walk compared to Boston. I didn't even fill the prescription for Tylenol with codeine.

The procedure went well and the doctor was able to break up the remaining stone. But the doctor also had some bad news to deliver. Remember that x-ray that I thought was odd? The doctor tried to cancel it because the system schedules it automatically with a lithotripsy but he couldn't get to it in time. It turns out that was a blessing because it revealed 2 more stones had already formed on the left since Boston surgery 3 weeks earlier. He had called the nephrologist already and told him he needed to get us in immediately to find out why this is happening.

No comments: