Thursday, December 15, 2011

Another ear infection for Sara

For two weeks we have heard Sara say off and on "I don't feel good." She seemed perfectly fine. Although she was cutting her final 2 year molars on top. Maybe it's just a ploy to get out of bed.

Then she came down with a cold so we thought the "I don't feel good"s were associated with that. But still, she ate normal, played normal, slept normal.

A few days ago I finally had a talk with her and explained that she needed to be more specific. Tell me if your tummy hurts or your ears hurt or...something, anything to help a mama out! It must have sunk in because then she started saying "I don't feel good. My ears hurt." The next night she told us she was going to throw up and she needed a bucket. Still, she seemed fine, no fever, no tugging on her ears, no loss of sleep, no loss of appetite. Shannon and I finally decided to at least check in with the nurse and see what she thought. I hate being one of those moms that jumps to conclusions, especially when your child seems perfectly fine. The nurse thought we should go ahead and bring her in, especially since she was saying her ears hurt.

Shannon took her to the doctor yesterday and it turns out Sara was right - she has an infection in her right ear. I am glad that we called but it's so hard to know when she isn't showing signs of being sick. I guess I need to rely on the fact that my almost 3 year old knows and communicates to me...so I should listen. This is her second ear infection in just a few months. I'm hoping it's not a sign of what is going to be a really long winter.

No comments: