Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Post office field trip

Yesterday morning I decided the kids were going on a field trip. To the post office. We were doing a large postcard mailing at work and I needed to get stamps. 960 stamps. Since we live in a small town, it seemed like a good opportunity to practice exploring somewhere new. Thankfully there was a parking spot right in front of the door. Thankfully because the kids get so distracted by everything that it took us 5 minutes to walk about 20 feet! The last little push to get them in was hitting the wheel chair door button. Sara noticed it move out of the corner of her eye and made a dash for it. Perfect!

We waited in line for the woman in front of us to finish. Of course she commented how cute the kids were.

Then it was our turn and two older ladies came in behind us. Older meaning grandma age. Here is how their conversation went.

"Oh, I wonder if they are twins."
"They kind of look like twins."
"Boy she has her hands full."
"Look at the back of her shirt--it says Peoria Mothers of Twins. They must be twins."

Do they think I can't hear them? Am I supposed to respond or are they just having a conversation among themselves of unanswered questions?!

I finally turned around and confirmed to them that my kids are, indeed, twins and it's really not that hard once you get used to it. I'm not sure they believed me.

We made our purchase and headed back outside to the car. Mr. BusyBody Adam got loaded in the car first and Sara came upon another stranger, which is fine because she is pretty good at staring someone down. She gave her the cold look through her sunglasses. The woman stopped and told her it was time to get in her car. And then remarked that her sunglasses were upside down. Again, am I supposed to respond here or just wait and see how long the woman will stand there expecting that Sara is going to dialogue with her and tell her that she is wrong--there is no upside down to her sunglasses. I jumped in to relieve the pressure Sara may have been feeling.

Maybe we will head back there this afternoon to drop off the completed postcards. I wonder who we will run into today!

No comments: