Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The back side of poo

Poo is not always fun to deal with as it is. A lot of times I really don't mind it. But over Labor Day weekend we got hit with a bout of diarrhea that lasted well into a week. No fevers. No crankiness. Just lots and lots of messes. About 7 diapers a day (remember to multiply that by 2), every hour they were awake. I have never soaked so many clothes in my life. And just when I would get them cleaned up, they would wake from a nap and I would have to change the sheets, their shirt, and their shorts. After about 4 days of a boring BRATY diet things finally improved--bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, and yogurt. They also didn't like Pedialyte so for those of you in the same boat, I found a home recipe online. Mix 8 oz of juice (white grape or orange) with 1/2 teaspoon honey and a pinch of salt. It helps replace electrolytes they lose and keeps them thirsty so they drink more fluids.

Shannon and I both jumped for joy the first few diapers we changed that were just pee. You would, too, if it had been 5 days since that had happened!

No comments: