Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day - I need a hanky


I had a feeling getting ready for church this morning that I did not want to be there without a handkerchief. Northwoods always manages to do something on special weekends to touch people's hearts, and I expected to be a victim on Father's Day weekend, my second one since the kids were born. I was right.

Rod Simpson started singing "Watching You" by Rodney Atkins. It's a country song telling the story of a dad and his little boy who says an expletive from his car seat and when dad asks where he learned that, the son's answer is "I've been watching you, dad ain't that cool?"

Remembering my own baby book entry for first words and the lyrics of a song I've been singing to Adam once in a while, I get a truckload of reminder that the job of Dad is a huge responsibility. And on top of that, I've got a daughter at the same age who will be watching me to see how men should treat women and the qualities she will seek in a husband. YES, I WAS CRYING!

Knowing all of my own flaws, weaknesses, and bad habits, I've got a lot of "home improvements" to keep me busy as I work with JoLynn to mold these little hearts and minds to love God and love people. No pressure.

I'm just thankful we have two mostly happy babies who seem to love being around their parents for now. I know as they get older, we get less appealing to hang out with, so every day counts.

No comments: