Thursday, May 13, 2010

What a night

Wednesday, May 12, 2010...5:15am "What in the world did we do to deserve a night like this?"

That was my comment to Shannon while laying in bed. Notice I didn't say 'a night like that' as in past tense, the night was over and now we were getting up for the day. No, it was present tense, as in the night was just ending and we were finally getting to sleep.

Let me rewind.

Adam has been struggling with his sleep since last Tuesday. This Tuesday/Wednesday really topped the cake.

The evening started with my excitement that he went to sleep with only a little coaxing and at a decent time. But just as I was ready to head off to bed, the fun began.

10:00pm -- Adam wakes. I rocked him for 30 minutes with no success. Still sick with my cold, I was wiped out and running on fumes so I passed him off to Shannon and went to bed.

12:00am -- Shannon comes in the bedroom for his pillow, hoping maybe he and Adam can sleep on the couch together. I get up to take a turn and Shannon heads for bed.

12:51am -- Finally sound asleep. Wakes when I lay him in his crib, stands, and starts screaming. this happens 2 more times. We tried laying on the couch. He finally calmed down enough to let me rock him in the living room recliner. He's just wide awake, throwing his blankie toy, kicking his legs, doesn't want to sit still, and certainly doesn't want to be held.

1:30am -- Sara wakes up crying. Shannon's on deck.

1:40am -- We trade babies and I take Adam in the nursery to see if he just needs to fuss it out. I sat next to his crib trying to coax him to lay down. He would lay there for 30 seconds while I rubbed his back, then stand back up.

2:00am -- I'm not getting anywhere but impatient, which is making Adam more mad. We trade babies again.

2:15am -- Shannon puts Adam in the car and to see if he will fall asleep. He's snoring within a mile of the house. I get Sara back in bed.

2:30am -- Sara's crying again, more snuggle time, before agreeing to be back in her crib.

2:45am -- Shannon arrives home with Adam and leaves him sleeping in his car seat next to his side of the bed.

3:00am -- Sara wakes crying. We move to the recliner in the living room.

4:00am -- Adam wakes. Shannon feeds him a snack while I rock Sara.

5:00am -- Shannon gets Adam to stay asleep in his crib.

5:15am -- I lay Sara in her crib and she doesn't make a peep, either.

That was THE hardest night I have had in a long time.

The pediatrician snuck us in yesterday and was certain she would find ear infections. No such luck. They are teething and getting my cold but no throat or ear infection. That is good on the one hand, but on the other it means they have this spring virus that is going around, which can cause headaches, muscles cramps, and joint pain. Nothing we can do but wait it. She did recommend giving them children's Ibuprofen instead of Tylenol as it is more helpful with pain like that sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JoLynn, did you tell them that they both had their shots? My kids were Always fussy after their shots for a few days. Naps went off and nights were bad. It is interesting that they both went haywire at the same time. Pam