Tuesday, April 20, 2010

12 month pediatrician visit

The kids ventured to see Dr. Neese again on Friday the 9th. Sue joined us to help - I'm so thankful I have been able to count on her for doctor visits. We put the next one on the calendar together when we leave. She couldn't believe how much the kids had grown since she had seen them last.

It seems like every visit we have had with the doctor, the nurse asks me all these questions and I always have to answer No. No. No. I mean, they were born 3 months early so what are they thinking asking me questions of whether they are doing things that line up with their actual age? Finally! This time I could answer yes to some things. Can they wave hi or bye? Sara can! Are they crawling? Adam is! Can they pull to stand? Adam can! Saying any words? Sara says dada, Adam says momma. Have they tried table foods? Yes. Whole Milk? No. Eggs? Yes. Chocolate??? No.

Dr. Neese wondered if they had tried chocolate, too. I asked if that was a common food allergy - why is he asking? His response was "Well, chocolate is one of the four main food groups!"

No shots - we'll be scheduling with the health department for that.

He thought they looked fantastic. No worries at all. We see him again in 3 months.

Adam -- 17lb / 28.5"
Sara -- 17lb 6oz / 28"

Adam is in the 1% range compared to other 1 year olds for his weight and 13% for height. Sara was 4% for weight and 18% for height.

I like to take their measurements and compare them to a super-preemie growth chart to check percentiles against other kids that were born as early as they were. Adam is 50% for weight and 80% for height. Sara is 60% for weight and 80% for height. Awesome!

No comments: