Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reunited...and it feels so good!

Sunday night bedtime was not a good experience for Adam, maybe moreso for me! I was exhausted and didn't have much patience. They didn't take a very long nap in the afternoon and seemed really tired that night. Considering I had to get them up about 45 minutes earlier than they usually wake up Monday morning to make their physical therapy appointment, I tried to put them to bed a little early. Every time I laid Adam down, he looked exhausted, sucking his thumb and hanging onto his puppy blankie. I'd walk out the door and he'd pop up and crawl over to give Sara CPR. I fed him more. I rocked him. We kept trying. He was just wound up! After over an hour of trying, I got out the pack n play and set it up in the nursery.

Not exactly how I wanted the separation process to go.

Monday night I decided I would leave them together but if there was another major problem, I already had it set up and I could make use of the pack n play. Not a peep out of them. In fact, I checked on them before I went to bed. Adam was laying on Sara's feet so I slid her sleep sack out from under him. He stirred and put his arm around her waist.

Last night they were so exhausted after refusing to take an afternoon nap that they both zonked out.

I know there are people out there who think I should separate them now or should have already. I know who a few of you are! Shannon and I have always agreed that we would separate them when they tell us they want to be separated, and to me that means an interruption of sleep. And we feel as parents that one night of difficulty here and there does not constitute a pattern that warrants change. Lastly, of course, you just have the mom in me that will struggle for a bit seeing them no longer together. And that's probably normal.

Wow, I'm not sure the last time I was considered normal!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

You will wait and then when they are separated Adam will learn how to climb out of the crib and you will have to turn his crib into a toddler bed. I can see him climbing out at an early age.