Monday, February 15, 2010

Lisa's last day


I make it sound like she's gone forever when I say her "last day." What I mean is that her regular weekly twinsitting adventures have come to a conclusion. Lisa and her husband had been in the states for a year and a half, waiting for God to provide them with a boat so they could be immersed in full-time ministry in a very unique way. Their journey has been quite interesting but God has finally lined things up.

Not too long after the twins were born, Lisa called me a few times to say 'anything you need, just give me a call - my schedule is pretty open.' I'm not really one to just reach out at a moment's notice. So I suggested to Lisa that she pick one day a week that she could consistently help me and I would be sure to have things for her to do. That was early July. The kids were 3 months old and still attached to apnea monitors. Now they laugh and giggle with her, Sara is sitting up so big, and Adam is crawling. And their favorite thing to do is ride the "horsie".

Certainly our journey together was a learning curve. It started out that either Shannon or I was always home to lend another hand. Watching twins can be a handful and a little overwhelming if you aren't used to it. Then I had a few times that I would run to the grocery store for just a bit. By the end of the year, Lisa's comfort level had increased and she was fine to watch the kids by herself while I would go to work part-time for a morning.

Diapers, diapers, and more diapers...spit up, bottles, food, bath time, getting them dressed, rocking them to sleep, learning how to soothe them, and playtime. As if watching the kids wasn't enough of a gift, I got the added bonus that I would leave her a list of things that desperately needed to be done around the house and I would come home and the items would all be crossed off. I think there was even one time that she stayed a little longer after we left for a doctor's appointment so she could finish cleaning my shower! The list was endless - dishes, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms and toilets, laundry (and tons of it!), swiffing the hardwood floor, dusting, preparing our guest quarters for visitors, packing away clothes that were too small for the kids, taking home clothes that were stained and returning them like new.

Not to sound cheesy but Lisa was priceless. I certainly appreciated her during the time she was coming. But I think just a piece of me took her for granted because now that she will be gone, I realize even more what a gift she was.

The kids and I stopped by her house on Friday to deliver a going away present - a small photo album of pictures throughout their 10 months of life. I tried to pick ones that captured their personalities best - playing together, Adam sucking his thumb, time in the exersaucer and jumperoo. And for grins, they enjoyed one more horsie ride!



video

No comments: