Saturday, December 26, 2009

First Family Christmas


It's hard to imagine that one year ago, our family was half the size, excluding pets of course.

I would have to say that so far this holiday season has been one of the best for me that I can remember in quite some time. What you see before you is a family in front of a live Christmas tree. To go a little deeper, you would discover that we had decided to forego buying a tree this year. We felt like our money needed to go toward essential living expenses. I decorated some other things around the house to be festive. And then we received a monetary gift from long-time friends in order to have a family Christmas tree this year. Quite humbling.

You can't tell from the picture but we also haven't bought any presents this year.

Some would say these would be signs of feeling empty. But it is actually quite the opposite. Shannon lost his job almost a year ago. We still have food on the table, a roof over our heads, clothes to keep us warm. The NICU roller coaster ride from the twins being born 3 months earlier was nauseating at times. Look at them now. To say we are blessed is an understatement of how I feel.

For me, I celebrate the holiday season by enjoying the decorated houses, seeing the first snowfall, sampling wonderful food, and spending time with family and friends. So far Christmas has warmed my heart.

No comments: