Friday, September 4, 2009

Alarm needed again

I had stopped setting the alarm clock for a few reasons. First, the kids were sleeping so well through the night that I didn't want to keep getting up to check on them and interrupting my sleep. Second, my body was getting in tune to hearing their noises when they were awake and hungry. Adam would grunt as he squirmed around or cry a little. Sara would make a cute squeaking noise to say 'I dropped my paci and I can see it just out of my reach!'

Now it's a whole different ball game.

They have found their hands. I would say they found their thumb but that's pretty hit and miss. Adam does better with scoring on that one. Sara, she sucks on any finger or part of her fist she can get close. Shannon described it the other day as she had just finished eating a big plate of barbeque ribs and was licking every finger clean.

So instead of the usual noises that I was used to hearing when I woke up, now I hear lick lick lick lick...suck suck...lick lick...suck suck suck suck...lick lick lick lick...suck...lick lick lick lick lick lick lick lick lick...suck...suck...

Now when you pair that with sometimes they do it because they are hungry and sometimes it's just to soothe themselves. It takes a new level of intuition to tell the difference by evaluating the strength of the suck and the speed, or fervor (I love that word!).

No comments: