Friday, July 10, 2009

Awesome dinner!

I had a craving so I had Shannon buy things to make a pot roast in the crock pot for dinner last night. Some of you probably know that Shannon is the grocery shopper in the household. What you may not know is that when we are both gainfully employed, I actually offered him extra money in our budget to remove the shopping burden from me. The idea hit me a few years ago because I just loathed going grocery shopping and would keep putting it off. I mean, you can only eat peanut butter and jelly for so many lunches! Sorry, tangent...

So he bought a rump roast and paid good attention that there was a little fat running through it which is what makes it juicy when you put it in the crock pot. Baby red potatoes are a must as well as the rest of the carrots that we had in the fridge. Carrots are actually one of Shannon's favorite vegetables and a little treat because we don't have them often enough. I decided this time to season the meat a little different. Instead of just the normal salt and pepper, I added some grill seasonings that had garlic, cracked pepper, etc.

I knew all day that I would make corn bread with it. You just can't go wrong with corn bread, especially when it cooks in the pan with the edges slightly crispy - it's like dessert! Well, not quite.

But then I had the notion that I would make gravy. I am 35 years old and I have never ventured out to make gravy. I know, shocking.

I was aiming to have everything ready at 6:30. Shannon decided at 5:30 that he was going to run quick and look at some property that a friend was considering buying so he could offer his input. Adam was fast asleep in his crib, drowsy from his eye appointment (more on that in another post) and Sara was alert so I put her in her highchair in the kitchen with me. An awesome buy, I must say. It is small enough for them to sit in and has a 5 point harness. They love being wheeled around and often "eat dinner" with us. So I got the corn bread in the oven, worked on the gravy, set the table, and sliced up the meat.

Shannon returned right at 6:30 and I actually had everything ready in nice bowls to set on the table instead of just eating buffet style out of the pot. The carrots weren't too mushy. The potatoes were flavorful and the right kind of soft. The meat was so tender - the best pot roast I have had. The corn bread had the crispy edges. I had my milk with an ice cube in it. And the gravy...well, it made the meal. I was so proud of myself and really felt like I accomplished something nice for the family for the day.

Seriously, I haven't been able to stop thinking about how good the meal was since last night!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

:) This makes me smile! Good for you! It's making _my_ mouth water just thinking about it!