Friday, June 5, 2009

Video surveillance needed

I know, you are probably thinking - they have baby monitors so why in the world do they need a video surveillance system for the nursery? We don't. We need it for our bedroom to figure out how we are turning off the alarm clock!

I went to bed at 9 last night as Shannon was working on feeding both babies. Then I was going to get up for the 11:30 feeding, he would take 2:30, and I would take 5:30. I don't even remember him getting in bed. I heard the alarm go off at 11:15 and next thing I know it's 11:53! I still had to make a new batch of breast milk with formula added for Sara and get Adam's bottle with rice mix ready. Bottles made, both babies diaper changed, Adam sitting in a little chair on the floor, and Sara laying on my lap on a Boppy pillow. 2 bottles in mouths - 12:06. Not bad, I thought to myself. I snuggled with Sara before putting her back to bed and left Adam in the little chair to calm his stomach while I pumped. Clean up duty and back in bed at 1:20. I turned the baby monitor back on next to the bed and remember telling Shannon I had run behind so he was going to snooze the alarm a little before getting up for the 2:30 feeding.

I remember him hitting the snooze button.

The next thing we hear is Adam screaming at the top of his lungs and his monitor making a BEEP BEEP...BEEP BEEP...BEEP BEEP. A new sequence that we hadn't heard before. Shannon and I looked at each other - "Did we sleep through a feeding?" It took us a second to get our bearings and realize it was 4am and that is exactly what happened. Shannon headed for the kitchen to get bottles and I went to calm my little jalapeno. Adam turns beat red when he is extremely upset. It doesn't take but a moment in my arms to calm him, though, and stop the monitor from telling us his heart rate was so high that he was tachacardic. And then there's Sara. Just laying there, eyes wide open, making a few squeaks. 'Brother, I've heard you cry - work yourself up and set that box off so mom and dad come to feed us!'

Once the craziness calmed down, we tried to figure out what happened. We both remember him hitting the snooze alarm and that's about it. Somehow the snooze had gotten turned off. Actually, all the alarms had gotten turned off. Not only that, but the baby monitor was turned off as well and I know it was on before I went to sleep at 1:30.

Thus, the need for video surveillance. To get to the bottom of which one of us in our sleep deprived state is turning things off and not realizing it!

2 comments:

Angie said...

JoLynn!!!! I heard a while back that you had twins from Mary Wilmert and then I just got your blog site from Ashley! They're beautiful and I just COULD NOT BE HAPPIER FOR YOU!!!!!! I've spent the last hour and a half looking through your pictures and blog and the whole story is just amazing. What precious little blessings you have. I tried to find an email address for you but don't see one... email me: angie@addsalt.org. Lots of love to you and your family of 4!!!

Pam said...

JoLynn: something that worked for Dan and I. Put the alarm clock on a table away from the bed, so you have to physically get up to turn it off. Worked for us, maybe for you too! I am sorry you guys are so exhausted! I am sure you are just "sleeping" through and functioning in an "unconscious" new parent state. I remember those days and don't envy you at all! I have a 7 year old who still wonders into our bed early in the morning and sometimes in the middle of the night. Hang in there. They will continually get older and expectations will change! They look wonderful!